AIPG Students Resources
Students, this page is a resource for your use. If you have suggestions on what you would like included on this page please let us know email@example.com.
Scholarship Application deadline - February 1st
AIPG encourages students to send in articles and photos to be printed in the AIPG journal The Professional Geologist
Interested in presenting your work at a professional conference? Give a talk at the Annual Meeting. Want to win money? Participate in the Student Poster Contest at the Annual Meeting!
2019 AIPG Student Poster Contest Winners
The AIPG National Annual Conference Student Poster Contest was held September 15-17, 2019 in Burlington, Vermont.
- 1st Place - $500 - Juliana Flint, SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, NY - Predicting Nitrogen Removal in Agricultural Wetland Buffers using Traits of the Plant Community.
- 2nd Place - $200 - Monike Distefano, Metropolitan State University of Denver, Denver, CO - The Role of Crystal and Soil Geochemistry for the Formation of Ore Deposits.
- 3rd Place - $100 - Kevin Hatton, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY - Uranium-Lead Dating of Petrified Wood in the Turkana Basin.
- 1st Place - $600 - Israel Olaoye, Kent State University, Kent, OH - Assessing land Use/Land Cover (LULC) Change and Climate Change Vulnerability Using Machine Learning, Markov Chain Model and GIS: A Case Study on Old Woman Creek (OWC) Watershed, OH.
- 2nd Place - $250 - Hasan Al-Saedi, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO - Smart Water-CO2 Flooding in Low-Permeable Bartlesville Sandstone Cores Bearing Heavy Oil: Experimental and Simulation Study.
AIPG 2018 Student Poster Contest Winners
The AIPG Student Poster Winners at the AIPG 2018 National Annual Conference:
- 1st Place $600 - Graduate: Hasan Al-Saedi, SA, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO - Cost-Effective Enhanced Heavy Oil Recovery by Different Aqueous Ionic Solutions: Alternative Study of High Energy Cost Methods.
- 2nd Place $200 - Graduate: Tadsuda Taksavasu, SA, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO - Microtextural Characteristics of Colloform-Banded Epithermal Veins from the Buckskin National Gold-Silver Deposit, Northern Nevada.
- 1st Place $500 - Undergraduate: Austin Fellmy, SA, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI - Trace Element Analysis of Quartzite Clasts from Sespe Formation and Source Rocks from Southeast California and Central Arizona.
- 2nd Place $200 - Undergraduate: Jeneane Barber, SA, Metropolitan State University of Denver, Centennial, CO - Sand and Sage - A Match Made in Wyoming.
- Special Recognition $50 - Undergraduate: Brigitte Petras, SA, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH - The Characterization, Composition, and Weathering of the Kasota Stone of the Cathedral of Saint Columba.
- 2015 GSA - Transitioning to the Geoscience Workforce; How Diligence, Networking and Positioning Pay Off - Presentation by Simon Kline, P.G., CH2MHILL,
Environmental and Nuclear Services, Atlanta, GA
- AIPG Student Chapters | AIPG Student Chapter of the Year Award | AIPG Student Chapters Manual pdf or word doc
- AGI/AIPG Summer Internships in Geoscience & Public Policy
- AGI Job Wheel and Preparing our Workforce (POW) Project American Geosciences Institute (AGI)
- Reflections on a Geologic Career - 4th edition (2002)
- AIPG Section (State) Web sites and Officers
- AIPG Early Career Professional Member Documents - AIPG has published over 230 articles and other documents specifically addressing student and
early career professionals in The Professional Geologist and as independent documents over the years. These articles have been collected along with a topical index of the articles that will assist in locating specific articles and documents addressing a specific
topic. Included in this collection are all of the Student’s Voice columns, the articles for students published in the January issue of the TPG over the past several years, other student-authored articles, etc. Over the years,
a wealth of useful information and advice is included in this collection, which will be updated as each issue of the TPG is published. Student Topics Index
- TPG - Journal of the American Institute of Professional Geologists
- The January/February/March issue of TPG has been dedicated to Students since 2003.
Resources provided by AGI
Geologic Guidebooks of North America Database: https://www.americangeosciences.org/georef/geologic-guidebooks-north-america-database
Geoscience in Your State (check out the fact sheet for your state): https://www.americangeosciences.org/policy/factsheet/states
Geoscience Currents: https://www.americangeosciences.org/workforce/currents