AIPG Students Resources
Students, this page is a resource for your use. If you have suggestions on what you would like included on this page please let us firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AIPG National Headquarters office has a part-time Office Assistant position available. Please review the Office Assistant job description. If you are interested, please e-mail your resume to email@example.com. This position needs to be filled soon, so please send your resume in promptly for consideration (July 2017).
AIPG encourages students to send in articles and photos to be printed in the AIPG journal The Professional Geologist.
Interested in presenting your work at a professional conference? Give a talk at the Annual Meeting.
Want to win money? Participate in the Student Poster Contest at the Annual Meeting!
September 23, 2017 - Student Career Day - $15 for Students - pdf form - Breaks, Lunch, and Reception included.
Hosted by American Institute of Professional Geologists and Association for Women Geoscientists
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am: AWG Workshop 1 – Writing an Effective Resume or Curriculum Vitae for a Career in the Sciences
- 10:30 am – 11:00 am: Break
- 11:00 am – Noon: AWG Workshop 2 – Getting to Fair: The Impact of Implicit Bias on Decision-Making
- Noon – 1:00 pm: Lunch with Professionals in the Geosciences and a Panel available for questions.
- 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm: AIPG Geology Careers Technical Sessions
- Preparing Our Workforce (POW): Thinking Differently About Geoscience Careers
- The Role of Geology in Today’s Society
- 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm: Break
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm: AIPG Geology Careers Technical Sessions
- Vapor Intrusion 101
- Geology Employment Opportunities with State Agencies
- Strategies for easing the transition from college student to young professional geoscientist
- 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Mentoring Reception
The 2016 Student Poster Contest winners:
1st - $500 - Stephania Zneimer, SA-7930, Southern Illinois University - Modeling Regional Weather Patterns in Southern Illinois by Integrating Stable Water Isotopes Found in Precipitation to Distinguish Various Controls on the Local Hydrogeologic Cycle
2nd - $200 - Benjamin Eppley, SA-8024, Metropolitan State University of Denver - Development of a Low Cost, Field Portable, Geochemical Gold Test
3rd - $100 - Travis Sullivan, SA-6122, Metropolitan State University of Denver - Experimental Cerargyrite (AgCl) Formation in Sandstone
1st - $600 - Shannon Rentz, SA-5142, Missouri State University - Examining Ash Fall Sequences in Calc-Alkaline Subduction Related Volcanism, Southern New Mexico
2nd - $250 - Ashley Winton, SA-8070, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology - The Characterization of Abandoned Uranium Mines in New Mexico
3rd - $100 - Dina London, SA-7006, University of Northern Colorado - Improving Ocean Stewardship through Acquisition of Oceanic Data
- Getting a Job—Resumes, Networking, and Interviews
- In the Jan/Feb TPG 2013, there is a great article on getting a job and how to prepare yourself in writing a resume, networking to get a job, proper way to interview, and questions you should be ready for. We have put this together as a separate document for your use. You can also use this to recruit students that are not AIPG members and to remind them that they can join for free.
- Why Become a Student Member of AIPG
- Student Application - FREE (fill out form and submit or apply online). Click here to JOIN ONLINE.
- AIPG National Student Scholarship Program | Foundation of AIPG William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship
- Job Target (free resume and free viewing of job postings)
- Geology Career Pathways website from The Geological Society - http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/careers
- 2015 GSA - Geology Employment Opportunities with State Agencies 3-19-2015 - Presentation by Ron Wallace, CPG, AIPG 2013 National President
- 2015 GSA - Transitioning to the Geoscience Workforce; How Diligence, Networking and Positioning Pay Off - Presentation by Simon Kline, P.G., CH2MHILL, Environmental and Nuclear Services, Atlanta, GA
- AIPG Student Chapters | AIPG Student Chapter of the Year Award | AIPG Student Chapters Manual pdf or word doc
- AGI/AIPG Summer Internships in Geoscience & Public Policy
- AGI Job Wheel and Preparing our Workforce (POW) Project American Geosciences Institute (AGI)
- Reflections on a Geologic Career - 4th edition (2002)
- AIPG Section (State) Web sites and Officers
- AIPG Young Professional Member Documents - AIPG has published over 230 articles and other documents specifically addressing student and young professionals in The Professional Geologist and as independent documents over the years. These articles have been collected along with a topical index of the articles that will assist in locating specific articles and documents addressing a specific topic. Included in this collection are all of the Student’s Voice columns, the articles for students published in the January issue of the TPG over the past several years, other student-authored articles, etc. Over the years, a wealth of useful information and advice is included in this collection, which will be updated as each issue of the TPG is published. Student Topics Index
- TPG - Journal of the American Institute of Professional Geologists
- The January/February issue of TPG has been dedicated to Students since 2003.
Student Chapter Presentation (Powerpoint)