AIPG Students Resources
Students, this page is a resource for your use. If you have suggestions on what you would like included on this page please let us email@example.com.
Scholarship Application deadline - February 15th
- AIPG National Undergraduate Student Scholarship Program | Foundation of AIPG William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship
The AIPG National Headquarters office has a part-time Office Assistant position available. Please review the Office Assistant job description. If you are interested, please fill out the AIPG Employment Application and e-mail it and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AIPG encourages students to send in articles and photos to be printed in the AIPG journal The Professional Geologist.
Interested in presenting your work at a professional conference? Give a talk at the Annual Meeting.
Want to win money? Participate in the Student Poster Contest at the Annual Meeting!
AIPG 2017 Student Poster Winners
On September 25, 2017, the AIPG National President, Adam Heft, presented checks to the AIPG Student Poster winners at the AIPG National Conference in Nashville, Tennessee.
The 2017 Student Poster Contest winners:
- 1st - $500: Characterization of Metaphorphosed Shales Across the Miller Cove Thrust, SE Tennessee by Jonathan Stanfield, AIPG Student Member, Undergraduate Division of Geology at The University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, TN.
- 2nd - $200: A Traditional Lecture Classroom vs. a Scale-Up Classroom; A Comparison of Student Learning Gains in an Earth Science Course for Non-Science Majors by Baylee Stark, AIPG Student Member, Wright State University, Dayton, OH.
- 3rd - $100: Feasibility of Fluorescent Placer Diamond Prospecting Using Ultra-Violet Specific Longwave LED Light Sources by John Waida, AIPG Student Member, Metropolitan State University of Denver, Denver, CO.
- 1st - $600: Geohazard Mapping Using Lidar and Satellite Imagery in Oklahoma by Olufeyisayo Illesanmi, AIPG Student Member, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO.
- 2nd - $250: Determination of Optimum Parameter Settings of Multi Chanel Analysis of Surface Waves Application in Karst Terrain. A Case Study in Southwest Missouri by Nathainail Bashir, AIPG Student Member, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO.
- 3rd - $100: Paleontological Documentation of Cretaceous Invertebrate Fauna in Libya by Belkasim Khameiss, AIPG Student Member, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- Meet Your Mentor™ Internet Radio Series Visits AIPG
- Getting a Job—Resumes, Networking, and Interviews
- In the Jan/Feb TPG 2013, there is a great article on getting a job and how to prepare yourself in writing a resume, networking to get a job, proper way to interview, and questions you should be ready for. We have put this together as a separate document for your use. You can also use this to recruit students that are not AIPG members and to remind them that they can join for free.
- Why Become a Student Member of AIPG
- Student Application - FREE (fill out form and submit or apply online). Click here to JOIN ONLINE.
- AIPG National Student Scholarship Program | Foundation of AIPG William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship
- Job Target (free resume and free viewing of job postings)
- Geology Career Pathways website from The Geological Society - http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/careers
- 2015 GSA - Geology Employment Opportunities with State Agencies 3-19-2015 - Presentation by Ron Wallace, CPG, AIPG 2013 National President
- 2015 GSA - Transitioning to the Geoscience Workforce; How Diligence, Networking and Positioning Pay Off - Presentation by Simon Kline, P.G., CH2MHILL, Environmental and Nuclear Services, Atlanta, GA
- AIPG Student Chapters | AIPG Student Chapter of the Year Award | AIPG Student Chapters Manual pdf or word doc
- AGI/AIPG Summer Internships in Geoscience & Public Policy
- AGI Job Wheel and Preparing our Workforce (POW) Project American Geosciences Institute (AGI)
- Reflections on a Geologic Career - 4th edition (2002)
- AIPG Section (State) Web sites and Officers
- AIPG Young Professional Member Documents - AIPG has published over 230 articles and other documents specifically addressing student and young professionals in The Professional Geologist and as independent documents over the years. These articles have been collected along with a topical index of the articles that will assist in locating specific articles and documents addressing a specific topic. Included in this collection are all of the Student’s Voice columns, the articles for students published in the January issue of the TPG over the past several years, other student-authored articles, etc. Over the years, a wealth of useful information and advice is included in this collection, which will be updated as each issue of the TPG is published. Student Topics Index
- TPG - Journal of the American Institute of Professional Geologists
- The January/February issue of TPG has been dedicated to Students since 2003.
Student Chapter Presentation (Powerpoint)
Resources provided by AGI
Geologic Guidebooks of North America Database: https://www.americangeosciences.org/georef/geologic-guidebooks-north-america-database
Geoscience in Your State (check out the fact sheet for your state): https://www.americangeosciences.org/policy/factsheet/states
Geoscience Currents: https://www.americangeosciences.org/workforce/currents